Thursday, March 27, 2008

Watching the Presidential Debate on Univision with my “Mama”

On February 21, 2008 CNN and Univision collaborated to bring together the Democratic frontrunners, Senator Obama and Senator Clinton, in a debate from Austin, Texas. This debate was unique because Univision is a Spanish television network, so the debate was translated for Latinos. This seemed like a good opportunity for me to watch a debate with and discover the political views of my grandmother, Horacia Ortiz, who is an immigrant from Baceloneta, Puerto Rico currently residing in New York State.

Politics is a controversial entity. It is a topic that can spark conversation, but also can strike up confrontation. This inherent fact made me uncertain of what would happen while watching the debate with someone from a completely different generation. I am twenty-years-old and currently enrolled in Wilkes University in Pennsylvania. Although it is obvious that our demographics differ drastically, my grandmother and I sat together to watch and discuss the upcoming Presidential election.

It did not take long for my grandmother, who I refer to as Mama, to voice her opinion. In Senator Obama’s opening remarks, he stated that he and Clinton are friends and will continue to be after the debate. Mama saw his comments as merely an act for the Democrats to see he is trying to be the bigger person, when all they have done is bicker with one another. In her words, “Of course, they will always be friends; they’re on the same side.”

For the most part, Mama and I agreed on just about everything in spite of our generational differences. Mama noted that in her opinion, Clinton is more prepared to be President. When Clinton was asked about reuniting Cuba and she responded by saying yes, after they have proven themselves to not be terrorists, Mama was thrilled. “If you don’t reunite them you will never see a positive change, you see she’s smart,” claimed Mama. Later when the issue of immigration came up, Mama was all too happy to hear Clinton’s views on reuniting the people. Not only was Mama ecstatic, but so were the audience members of the debate. Clinton received a standing ovation when she stated, “…that is not the America that I know. That is against American values. And it is -- it is a stark admission of failure by the federal government,” in response to a question Ramos asked pertaining to raids to eliminate illegal immigration. “I agree we all came at one point together, why can’t we live together?” asked Mama. She then added, “Watch Obama disagree.”

After several minutes, I asked Mama why she prefers Clinton over Obama. She said, “I’m familiar with her. She has always represented the underreported classes. I am voting for her all the way, but fear Obama will win. Either way I prefer these candidates over McCain. If he wins there will be no positive change. I am not voting for her because she is a woman, although America always wants a man to lead. Valerie, a man is only as strong as the woman by his side. No matter what Hillary Clinton represents me because she’s my Senator.”

What can I say? I’m my grandmother’s granddaughter because I couldn’t have said it better. This debate was not something I was particularly looking forward to, having seen so many thus far, but watching it with Mama made it different. It made it real and brought it closer to home than ever before. Age really is just a number because the heart is the reflection of your life. Consequently, we are closer in “political age” than one might have thought and together our hearts are aligned for Clinton.

Valerie Martinez '09
Wilkes University
Communication Studies

No comments: