Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Former President Bill Clinton Did Not Disappoint in Wilkes-Barre

I want to make my personal position clear. As a product of the early 80’s, a child of the early 90’s, and an avid Hillary supporter it only seemed logical that I visit my old alma matter, Coughlin High School, to hear the campaign speech of the greatest president of my lifespan, Bill Clinton. Sure it was rainy and cold and the line seemed to take hours to move inches but in my opinion it was well worth the wait.

While I was in line for two hours, it only seemed natural to speak to my elders and get their opinions on the election and why they were braving the cold and rainy conditions. I got more than I bargained for when I struck up a conversation with an older woman named Margo. She did not think that in her lifetime she would ever see a presidential race like this one. “A black or a woman, nah it would never happen; it‘s a great time to be alive,” she said. It was just a simple surface conversation until I asked her why she was there. In that instant our surface banter became an all-out political discussion. My intention was never to use her in this blog, but to simply pass the time. However, without her this experience wouldn’t have been quite as amusing or as informative. Margo said, “I voted for a Clinton in 92 and again in 96 and I am honored to vote for another Clinton in 2008. Race or sex has nothing to do with my decision. She‘s a good woman with great ideas.”

We are two women from two very different generations but I stand by her words. It’s nice to find common ground between generations when at times the gap seems too large to close. We may not have the same reasoning behind our decisions, but I am also honored to vote for a Clinton on April 22nd and with any luck again in November.

As the line started moving and the conversation dissipated I couldn’t help getting butterflies in my stomach. By the time I finally reached the gymnasium, that very same one I used to run laps around just a few years ago, I became filled with a child-like excitement. My father was an intense Clinton supporter in the 90’s and I guess he handed the torch down to me. I’ve been hearing for years what an amazing speaker he was, and the chance to hear him in person was something I just couldn’t wait to experience.

Once we were seated it became a spectacle. There was music blaring and people everywhere. If I didn’t know any better I would have thought I was walking into a concert. Plain and simple, it was crazy.

He arrived a half-hour late, but his speech did not disappoint. He touched on every issue for every age range. He talked about creating more energy efficient cars and making them more affordable for the masses. He spoke about health care and higher education. He really didn’t skimp on anything. He was as charismatic as promised and as charming as he looks on television. In my opinion, he helped sway a few of those undecideds to Hillary supporters with just a few words. My favorite line of the entire speech is when he was responding to remarks made by Barrack Obama about the Clinton era 90’s. Clinton said, “What didn’t you like about the 90’s, was it the peace or was it the prosperity?” The crowd went into an uproar, whether you like the man or not, he can make a speech. I am so glad I had the honor of attending this event. The YouTube feed will never replace the feeling of actually being there.

Was it worth standing outside for two hours for? Absolutely. If you weren’t a Hillary supporter before this speech my guess is you were afterwards. My advice to anyone on the fence in this election is to go watch the candidates or their surrogates speak. I promise the feeling of being there won’t disappoint.

Lyndsay Padavan '08
Wilkes University
Communication Studies

No comments: