Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Live in Person with Obama and Clinton

April 1, 2008 will always be a day I remember because it was the day I had the privilege of seeing two of our nations presidential firsts in person. I saw Presidential Candidates Senator Barack Obama and Senator Hillary Clinton when they visited Wilkes-Barre, PA.

After word spread that both Democratic candidates would be in Wilkes-Barre, I decided this was an opportunity that needed to be taken advantage of. Therefore, at 9:30 a.m., I was in line waiting to be admitted into Wilkes University’s Martz Gymnasium to hear Senator Obama and by 1pm I was running cross-town to hear Senator Clinton at nearby King’s College. I planned my day around these two events because by the end of the day, I was determined to know who would be receiving my vote on Tuesday, April 22, the Pennsylvania primary.

Upon Senator Obama’s entrance into the gymnasium, the entire room was on their feet applauding their Presidential hopeful. With all the chanting and cheering, one would have thought we were awaiting a famous music band or celebrity. It is now my understanding that indeed, we were. At that moment I realized I was not just about to see two presidential candidates, but two of the most renowned political celebrities in our nation.

Obama and Clinton both are excellent candidates. After doing much research on their campaigns and their political agenda, I concluded they are more similar than different when it comes to politics. However, as individuals the two could not be more different.

Senator Obama was incredibly articulate. His charisma and oratorical skills enabled him to fully engage the audience—men, women and children alike. The eyes of his constituents smiled upon him as he spoke of issues that he finds important. I found it quite surreal as I looked at the crowds and saw them mesmerized by his person. It was as though they fell in love with the man and not the candidate.

Clinton was also adored by her constituents, but for entirely different reasons. Senator Clinton took the stage with a feminine dignity and grace which was greeted by a very large crowd who all chanted her name but fell silent the minute she took the mic. Unlike Obama who needed to silence his audience, Clinton was listened to the moment she began to speak. Her magnetism was not of charisma or oratorical skills, but of her political agenda. Her passion for what she was talking about was reflected through her word choice. The vocal variety and kinesics of her speech were impressive and allowed the audience to truly see her as a leader.

After seeing both candidates in person, on the same day, I felt that I would have a clear mindset about which one I was going to vote for the Pennsylvania State Primary. But I was mistaken. Although I feel both candidates are more than capable of leading this country, I still have skepticism concerning their plans. Senator Obama, as eloquent as he was, did not explain how he will bring his changes about. And Senator Clinton, as precise as she was in explaining how she will go about her plans, she did not engage her audience with her personality or speech which I believe is a trait our Chief Diplomat needs. Consequently my mind has yet to be decided but at least, I now feel like I am closer to knowing who Senator Barack Obama and who Senator Hillary Clinton are.

Valerie J. Martinez '09
Wilkes University
Communication Studies

No comments: