Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Experiencing an Obama Rally

It all starts with one voice that carries over the crowd like a contagious disease, but is intended for the rising of the spirit. The gym is a packed house and when one single person amongst the 1,500 shouts “O-ba-ma” it catches like wild fire and the gym erupts with all members shouting and repeating the same message. Even the 85-year-old woman next to me, who appears so fragile that a small gust of wind would knock her over, gets out of her chair to clap and yell.

It is Tuesday, April 1, 2008 and Barack Obama is making an appearance at the Marts Center at Wilkes University. The rally leaves a lasting impression on me as I turn my head from side to side to survey to event. One moment, I find myself looking at monumental journalist Dan Rather, while the next I am looking at a child who isn’t old enough to read. An array of colors of every ethnical background paint a rainbow of hope from side to side of the gym. We are all there for one reason, to show and give all of our support for Senator Obama.

High school seniors are dancing up and down in their seats as Obama takes the stage in front of a huge American flag, which makes everyone in the crowd feel a little bit smaller. Then Senator Obama begins to speak.

I am an Obama supporter, and have been since I had the notion and competence to look into his views and stances, which I had deemed important because of my situation as a soon to be college graduate. Today, of course Obama says all the right things that I want to hear. It’s the politician’s way, and it’s always been like that. However, at this rally a new message stands out to me that polishes his already great reputation.

I sit in the back and cannot see up front when Obama starts taking questions from the crowd, but someone tells me he has come down off stage to speak to a woman with some health issues. A tiny, squeaky voice goes into the microphone and speaks with little confidence about gas prices. Obama responds to the question with an answer that satisfies the lady and the crowd alike. What sticks out to me is his compassion to this woman’s status. He actually cares what this person has to say, and to me that is a great quality of our hopefully next president. You can’t lie about compassion, especially in a room filled with journalists on all sides.

Later, Obama's compassion is shown once again when he answers a question from a 2nd grade boy wondering how he can become president. It will be 10 years until he can vote, but he had a voice and Obama wanted the room to know it. He doesn’t just care about voters or what groups he will satisfy, he cares about what every American thinks and feels.

Senator Obama, you have my vote.

Matt Gobbler '08
Wilkes University
Communication Studies

No comments: